Duration: 23-27 August 2018
Venue: Duy Tan University, Da Nang City, Vietnam
The Duy Tan 4th Research Summer School is educational programme initiated by researchers from the United Kingdom in association with Duy Tan University. The School aims to improve knowledge and research skills for current or prospective PhD students who are developing their interests in academic research as a very stepping stone towards a successful academic research career. The School consists of a series of talks of academic interest, transferable skills talks, lectured by professors from leading universities in the world, and will provide invited students with the opportunity to present and get feedback on their works in electrical engineering, telecommunications, computer science, and control theory. This is an annual event organised by Duy Tan University. This is the 4th time we have organised this research summer school. Over the three previous occasions, we have been informed that more than 60% of our students have received full-scholarships to pursue their PhD study many different countries, such as US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc.
The attendees will have an opportunity to get to know the two PhD scholarships (to work with Associate Professor Trung Q. Duong at Queen’s University Belfast). These scholarships fully cover the tuition fee and living costs in the UK.
This school is supported by a Research Environment Links grant, ID 339568416, under the Newton Programme Vietnam partnership. The grant is funded by the UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and delivered by the British Council. For further information, please visit www.newtonfund.ac.uk. This is also supported by the Newton Prize 2017 between QUB and DTU.
Duy Tan University
Summer School Chairs:
Associate Professor Trung Q. Duong, Queen’s University Belfast, UK
Dr. Nguyen-Son Vo, Deputy Director of Institute of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, Duy Tan University https://sites.google.com/site/vonguyenson/
Dr. Dac-Binh Ha, Dean of Faculty of Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Duy Tan University
Special invited Speakers from world-class researchers:
- Associate Professor Marco di Renzo, Paris-Saclay University — CNRS, CentraleSupélec, Univ Paris Sud, Paris (Associate Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Communications Letters)
- Professor Muhammad Imran, Professor of Communications Systems, University of Glasgow, UK
Special invited talks by current PhD students who have won the full scholarships:
- Mr. Long D. Nguyen, PhD student at Queen’s University Belfast, UK
- Mr. Tiep M. Hoang, PhD student at Queen’s University Belfast, UK
II. EGIBILITY CRITERIA
The Summer School is aimed at outstanding MSc and PhD students.
- Applicants must be based in Vietnam
- Applicants must hold at least a BEng degree (or will soon obtain one) in the areas of electrical engineering, telecommunications, electronics engineering, computer sciences and control theory
- Any applications that are incomplete or do not adhere to the guidelines may be rejected.
Theme 1: Advanced research skills
- How to search for literature more effectively
- Academic writing skills
- Writing a peer review for an academic journal
Theme 2: Publishing an ISI journal
- Structure of a journal
- Using software packages
- Drafting response to reviewers.
Theme 3: Research directions (hot spots) in Electrical Electronics Engineering and Telecommunications
- (Technical talk 1)
- (Technical talk 2)
Theme 4: Researcher careers
- Pursuing an academic career: The career ladder
- Doctoral careers outside higher education
Theme 5: PhD scholarship
- How to obtain a scholarship to pursue PhD in Europe, US, Australia or other developed countries?
- Other scholarship funding schemes
Theme 6: Research governance and ethics
- How to avoid plagiarism
IV. TRAVEL GRANTS
A total of 20 candidates will be selected to attend the Summer School. These successful candidates will be awarded Travel Grants (travel expenses of maximum 1,000,000 VND/ student and free accommodation in Duy Tan University campus) funded by Duy Tan University.
V. APPLICATION GUIDELINES
All interested candidates are invited to send their application as a single PDF file to the local organisers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The application should include
- Applicant’s personal data and contact details; and
- CV: The format and content of your CV is left to the applicant’s discretion. CV should not exceed one page; and
- Motivation statement: Explain why you think you are suitable for this summer school, and how the summer school will support your future success. Motivation part should not exceed 800 words.
Successful candidates will be notified on 15 July 2018. Further instructions on travel grants and reimbursement process will be given in due course.
VI. IMPORTANT DATES
Deadline for application submission: 05 July 2018 at 23:55
Notification for acceptance: 15 July 2018
Date of summer school: 23-27 August 2018